Search This Blog

Saturday, April 6, 2013

It's okay for the bad boy get the girl

Recently I was talking to a friend of mine and we both agreed that the bad boy doesn't end up with the girl hardly ever and it got me thinking, why is this. Is the writer just afraid to upset the reader? Or do they genuinely think that the bad boy cannot get the girl. There are probably more than just these two reasons, but I'm going to touch on these ones today.

If you don't want to bad boy to get the girl because you are concerned for the reader, remember that this if your story. You can do whatever the heck you want to and with your characters. They are your babies and if someone has a problem with how you treat them, then they can get over themselves. If you want that hot, blue eyed Mr. Bad to sweep your MC off her feet, do it. Don't let your readers define what you write, because you are the god of your world, not them.

If you genuinely think that the bad boy cannot get the girl, that's not true. It is possible for the bad boy to still be a bad boy and get the girl in the end. Maybe your MC is a good girl and that's why you don't think she should end up with this bad boy, but let me tell you, 9 times out of 10, the goodie two shoes girl is more prone to choose the tall, dark and handsome brooding boy that gets into trouble over the jock. I just made up these statistics, but I'm sure they must be true. Okay, I'm not sure, but I'll just say they are true for the sake of my argument.

Now I'm not saying that you have to rush out right now and change everything about your story for this to happen, I'm just saying consider it. Don't throw Mr. Bad Boy under the bus because someone told you they like the good guy better. It's all about what you want. You are the god of this story, not anyone else. Do whatever the heck you want.

- Kailyn